Serverless solutions continue to gain traction here in 2023 as more and more business leaders look to modernize their infrastructure. Serverless computing has become a popular choice for web application developers, allowing them to build applications without having to worry about managing servers or configuring infrastructure.
With its ability to quickly scale up and down in response to demand, serverless computing is an ideal solution for cost-effective and efficient development. A recent report suggests that serverless computing could be entering the mainstream, with available solutions on all three major clouds – Amazon, Microsoft, and Google. Learn more about serverless solutions below.
What is Serverless Computing?
Serverless computing is a cloud-based computing model where applications are hosted on a cloud platform, and server resources are provided on an as-needed basis. This approach can provide infrastructure cost savings – you only pay for the resources you use. Serverless computing is an increasingly popular concept that has been enabled by modern cloud computing technology.
By relying on a cloud provider’s platform, developers can quickly build, deploy, and scale applications without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure needed to build, maintain, and run an application. Rather than running websites or applications on a single server, with serverless computing individual pieces of code can be executed in response to specific events or triggers that are sent to the cloud provider’s platform. These events could be triggered by a user action, such as clicking a button or making an API call. When the event is received, the cloud provider’s platform will find and execute the code associated with it and provide a response to the request.
Read our article: 2023 Trends, Concerns, and Opportunities.
Benefits of Serverless
The beauty of serverless computing is that developers are not limited to a single instance of their application running on a single server. Instead, the cloud provider’s platform can scale up or down depending on the demand and handle millions of requests at a time without needing to configure extra servers. This flexibility allows developers to focus on creating features and functionality while leaving the infrastructure operations to the cloud provider.
In addition to its scalability benefits, serverless computing also saves money on infrastructure costs since there is no need to pay for unused servers. It also offers an easier development and deployment process since developers don’t have to worry about configuring the underlying infrastructure needed to run their applications.
Serverless makes it possible to deploy and run applications without having to worry about procuring, configuring, or managing the underlying hardware and software infrastructure that would typically power a website or application. Developers also have more control over their applications since they can customize the code executed when an event is triggered.
Administrative Benefits of Serverless
Serverless computing offers a number of administrative and operational benefits that make it an attractive option for web application developers. One of the main advantages is that there is no need to manage or configure servers, meaning developers can quickly deploy and scale applications without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure. This eliminates the need for IT staff to handle server setup and maintenance.
Finally, developers have the ability to quickly roll back changes or fix bugs since only a small portion of code needs to be updated rather than an entire application. This makes it much easier for developers to make changes on the fly without having to take down the application or wait for scheduled maintenance windows.
Cost Benefits of Serverless
Serverless computing offers several cost advantages over traditional web hosting solutions. In addition to eliminating the need for IT staff to manage server setup and maintenance, serverless computing also eliminates the need to pay for unused servers. This means that developers only have to pay for the time they actually use, which can lead to significant cost savings over time.
Additionally, serverless architectures can quickly scale up or down in response to demand, allowing developers to pay only for the resources they need. This scalability will enable applications to remain cost-effective even during periods of peak traffic.
The Case For Making the Switch to Serverless
By taking advantage of serverless computing, web application developers can save money on infrastructure costs while still enjoying the benefits of reliable, secure and scalable applications. This makes serverless computing an attractive option for developers looking to reduce costs while still delivering a high-quality user experience. Take a look at the many benefits of serverless below:
- Cost Savings – Serverless computing eliminates the need for expensive hardware and software infrastructure, resulting in significant business cost savings. Instead of paying for unused servers, businesses will only pay for the resources they use when a request is made. This ensures that businesses are only paying for what they actually use, rather than wasting money on unused server resources.
- Scalability – Serverless computing makes it easy to scale applications up or down depending on demand, ensuring that businesses are able to run as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. The cloud provider’s platform can handle millions of requests at a time without needing additional infrastructure, allowing businesses to focus more on creating features and functionality rather than worrying about scalability.
- Flexibility – Serverless computing allows developers to quickly deploy and update applications without worrying about managing or configuring the underlying infrastructure. This allows developers to focus on building innovative features and functionality, as well as ensuring that their applications are always up-to-date with the latest technologies.
- Automation – Serverless computing provides automation for tasks such as scaling up or down depending on demand, allowing businesses to easily manage their resources in real time without having to manually adjust settings or configurations. This makes it easy to optimize and maintain applications in an efficient manner, resulting in improved performance and cost savings.
- Security – Cloud providers offer a secure and reliable infrastructure for serverless computing, allowing businesses to take advantage of built-in security measures such as encryption, authentication, and access control. This ensures that applications are secure from potential threats and malicious attacks.
Serverless computing allows developers to build applications with less overhead and more flexibility than applications hosted on traditional servers. The benefits of serverless solutions ultimately depend on the unique needs of an application. However, serverless applications are generally more cost-effective and scalable. While many developers want to get started building serverless applications, the initial barrier of entry remains high. If you’re looking for a partner to help modernize your business with serverless computing, look no further than Connectria.
We’ve worked for years to enable small businesses, midmarket organizations, and large enterprises with serverless solutions. With our TRiA Cloud Management platform, you get comprehensive cloud governance along with spend optimization, performance management, and enterprise-grade security. Contact a Connectria expert below to learn more today.
Prepare for the future
Tell us about your current environment and we’ll show you the best path forward.
Fast track your project. Give us a call.